Welcome to the Nishma Insight Discussion Forum blog.


The NISHMA INSIGHT is our popular dvar Torah, distributed almost every week by e-mail, that touches upon an important concept in the Parsha, theme in a holiday or event in contemporary society.

Often, readers respond, via e-mail, with comments that initiate a further dialogue. Through this Discussion Forum, we now wish to open this dialogue to others. If you have a comment on the INSIGHT, we invite you place to your comments here; then we invite everyone to join the discussion.

(If you are not receiving the NISHMA INSIGHT, we invite you join our mailing/e-mail list through completing our sign-up form available at our website.)

Friday, June 1, 2012

Insight 5772-34: The Psychology of Sotah

For Naso

Not yet available on the Nishma website.

1 comment:

  1. Some people have told me orally that they had difficulties with this Insight in that it seems to condone the degradation of the sotah woman. My first response is to add that I believe that both the husband and wife are degraded through this procedure although clearly the focus -- and perhaps directed effect -- is on the woman. I still see it, though, as embarrassing to both - although that does not change the essence of the challenge that these people are presenting.

    The reality is that the Torah does require this procedure and this is difficult for us to understand. This is especially true when the woman is faithful. This, though, is the given. All I was trying to do in my insight was to find some reason for this albeit that I still find the whole matter difficult to comprehend. My attempt is to give some understanding to the reality of the Halacha. Given God's directive, this is how I can try to understand His intent. The reason, however, still would not motivate me to have created a law like this. This gap in understanding reflects my perception of my position vis-a-vis God. As I even find reasons, there are times I still must accept my lack of understanding.

    Rabbi Ben Hecht

    ReplyDelete